Us

Us
August 2013

Friday, November 9, 2012

Kady


This past Tuesday was a sad day for me.  We gave Kady away to a new family.  After six years, I found myself in love with a dog that I was no longer able to adequately take care of.  Don't get me wrong, she was never neglected, and in comparison to so many other dogs, she was living quite a luxurious life.  However, with two very young kids I just really didn't have the time to take care of her the way she deserved to be taken care of.  And as much as Levi loved her and she loved him, I think she was getting a little to old to be played with in the way he wanted to play. 
We were so blessed to find a wonderful new home for her.  Kady now lives outside of the city with a nice young couple.  They were looking for a dog to go camping and hiking with, and they even intend to bring her to work with them during the week.  I miss Kady like crazy, but I'm at peace with it because I know she is being loved and cared for, and I'm sure she will absolutely love being the center of attention again.
Kady was the best dog, and I have no intention of ever "replacing" her.  Pretty sure I won't find another pet that can live up to her.  In the few days she's been gone the house feels a little empty, a little quieter, but also a lot less hairy. ;)   I have caught myself instinctively going to the door to let her in from the backyard, and I still wake up and cautiously "step over" her as I'm getting out of bed.  Levi has called out for her several times (kind of breaks my heart), but he's young and resilient, so no worries for him. 
I know, I know... some of you think I'm crazy, or maybe just a little pathetic.  She's just a dog.  I keep reminding myself of that.  She's just a dog.  However, she was MY dog, the only dog I've ever owned, and yes, I loved her.  Do I miss her?  Yes.  Did I cry?  Yes. Will I be okay?  Of course I will.
So now we go back to living a pet-free life.  More time to focus on the kids, a little less poop in the backyard, and six years of memories of some good times with a great dog. =)  
























No comments:

Post a Comment