Us

Us
August 2013

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Precious Memories: Remembering Grams

Back in February my Grandma, or “Grams” as I called her, was promoted from life on Earth to an eternal life in heaven with our Lord Jesus.  
Four generations: Of all my grandparents, Grams was the only one to ever meet one of my children.  Although she knew of Lexi, she unfortunately never got to meet her.
She was a highly influential person in my life, and I am blessed to have so many wonderful memories of growing up with her in my life.  At times she was hysterically funny, at times she was sweet and loving, and she was even quite grumpy from time to time, but I learned a lot from her life experiences and from the time I spent with her.  I think of Grams often, I miss her like crazy, and I’m overwhelmed with joy as I think about where she is at this very moment.  
This was the first time Levi met his Great Grandma. March 2011- Grandma, 85years old & Levi, 2 1/2 months old.  Wow, what a chunker he was!

Playing and laughing with Grams (July 2011, 7 months old)


November 2011. Grams and Levi (10 1/2 months old)
 
It was an honor for me to be able to write Grandma's obituary.  I know she loved the Lord, and I know she had accepted the precious gift of salvation, so I have complete peace with her passing. Knowing that made it quite easy to tell the story of her life, or rather tell just a glimpse of the life she lived.  I wanted to include Grandma’s obituary in my blog because I wanted to be able to document and preserve my memories of her.  I’ve also included a link to the slide-show I put together for her memorial service.
Love ya Grams!  See ya soon!    

Grandma's Lovely Life (Slide show)  


    Audrey “Inez” Wood (March 12, 1926 – February 19, 2012) lived a beautiful, fulfilling 85 years as a beloved wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-grandmother, sister, daughter, friend, and a precious child of God. She was born in Ada, Oklahoma to her parents Charles and Florence Davis, and she was one of eleven children. She was a walking piece of history, having experienced life through major events such as the Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, World War II, the Civil Rights Movement, the Kennedy assassination, man setting foot on the moon, and many, many other historical moments that most today can only read about.
     She was an active teenager in high school, playing on the girls’ basketball team while wearing the true, original Converse tennis shoes. She helped her team win the state championship as she earned a letter in basketball for her letterman’s jacket. On October 19, 1946, she married her life-long love, the ruggedly handsome Elvin L. Wood, more commonly known as “Woody” or “Pops.”

Once their love story began, they embarked on the journey of life together. While in Oklahoma, they had a daughter, Gloria, and a son, John. 

For much of her younger lifetime she was primarily employed as a hard-working waitress. At the age of 28, Inez and her family moved to the state of California.
The year 1971 marked a personal and amazing life changing event for Inez. It was then that she realized she had a great need for a savior, and asked the Lord to come into her heart and accepted her free gift of salvation. After she was saved, she was baptized by Crown Missionary Baptist Church of Norco, CA.
    After 24 years in the Golden state, Inez and her husband moved up to their final hometown of Sandpoint, Idaho. There Inez was one of the influential founding members of Hickory Street Missionary Baptist Church, where she remained a faithful member. She spent her time serving as a blessing to many, providing childcare for multiple children, and working several years with the Gleaners when they were first established. She also worked over 12 years at Bonner General Hospital. Her favorite pastimes were sewing, baking, canning, making homemade candy (including her famous Binger-Fingers), and serving at her church. She found power and courage in her daily life from her favorite bible verse: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” Philippians 4:13.
     Inez lived a full life, complete with laughter and sorrow, joy and grief, love and loss. She was a symbol of strength, a faithful follower of Christ, and was loved by many, many people. Inez was preceded in death by her parents, her seven siblings, her treasured husband, and many friends, most of whom she has now been reunited with in Heaven. 

Today, she is survived by her two children, Gloria A. Brooks of Sandpoint, and John E. Wood of Sandpoint, seven grandchildren, seventeen great grandchildren, one great-great grandchild, and a multitude of other precious friends and family members. Inez will be loved and dearly miss by all who knew her.

No comments:

Post a Comment